Doctor escalated autopsy after finding shot inside alleged murder victim's bodybag

The High Court in Glasgow previously heard that Brian Low's death was treated as not suspicious

Doctor escalated autopsy after finding shot inside alleged murder victim’s bodybagSTV News

The death of a man allegedly murdered by a former gamekeeper was initially treated as not serious.

A doctor gave evidence on Monday at the trial of 77-year-old David Campbell.

The consultant histopathologist was tasked with doing a single doctor autopsy on 65-year-old ex-groundsman Brian Low.

The doctor told the High Court in Glasgow that upon seeing Mr Low’s body, she escalated the matter.

The witness further stated that Mr Low would have died within seconds or minutes from a gunshot wound to his neck and chest.

Campbell is accused of murdering Mr Low, 65, at the Leafy Lane near to the Pitilie Track close to Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross on February 16 2024.

Campbell denies the allegation and has lodged a special defence of alibi.

The court heard that Mr Low was pronounced dead at 9am on February 17, 2024.

Prosecutor Greg Farrell asked the doctor if the initial report into Mr Low’s death was a non-suspicious death.

She replied: “Yes.”

The doctor went on to explain that she was to carry out single doctor autopsy on Mr Low’s body as a result of the report.

The witness said: “On initially opening the body bag, I saw a shot in the bag beside his remains and a few injuries to his face.

“I realised it was not a suspicious death and it was not a medical death.”

Mr Farrell asked: “Because of that, you escalated it?”

The doctor replied: “Yes.”

This resulted in a two-doctor autopsy of Mr Low’s body.

Jurors heard that Mr Low suffered injuries to his chest, right upper arm, left upper arm, neck and face.

His cause of death was stated to be “shotgun wound to neck and chest.”

The witness further stated that Mr Low had shotgun pellets in his right lung which resulted in bruising.

Mr Low was also claimed to have swallowed a blood clot from his nose or mouth.

When asked about how quickly the death could have occurred, the doctor said: “I never like to comment about how quickly a death has occurred, it can vary.”

Mr Farrell asked: “It’s not instantaneous, but death would result from this shotgun blast in seconds or minutes?”

The doctor replied: “Yes.”

The doctor later stated that Mr Low was “face on” when he was shot.

She further claimed that Mr Low’s death would have occurred around eight to 16 hours before being discovered.

When asked by Mr Farrell if there were several shotgun injuries, the doctor replied: “That’s fair.”

In cross-examination, Campbell’s KC Tony Lenehan put it to the doctor that times of death are “nothing like on TV?”

The witness replied: “Yes.”

The doctor stated that times of death were better determined by witnesses, social media and banking activity.

Jurors were told that at 4.52pm on February 16, Mr Low’s phone activity had stopped.

A detective earlier stated that Campbell was arrested for the matter while he was using the toilet.

The jury heard that police officers had cameras on them at that time.

Mr Lenehan further stated that a film crew that was following the proceedings were also at the property but was not allowed entry.

The detective stated that “things became fraught” during the interview process.

The trial, before Lord Scott, continues.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in North East & Tayside

Trending Now