Murder accused described police probe as a 'monumental shambles'

David Campbell denies murdering Brian Low in Aberfeldy in 2024

Murder accused described police probe as a ‘monumental shambles’STV News

A former gamekeeper claimed the police investigation into the death of a man he is accused of murdering was “a monumental shambles.”

David Campbell, 77, is said to have shot and killed groundsman Brian Low, 65, at the Leafy Lane near to the Pitilie Track close to Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross on February 16, 2024.

Campbell denies the allegation and has lodged a special defence of alibi.

Campbell was quizzed by his KC Tony Lenehan at the High Court in Glasgow on Wednesday.

The advocate put to his client that he claimed the police were trying to “save face.”

Campbell told the court: “They made a monumental shambles of the investigation.

“To say after the pictures I’ve seen and to hear that it was a non-suspicious death is ridiculous.”

Jurors had earlier heard the matter was later escalated from non-suspicious after an initial autopsy found evidence of a shooting on Mr Low’s body and the bag he arrived in.

Mr Lenehan initially quizzed Campbell about his relationship with colleague Mr Low and stated they “did not get on.”

When asked about the last time he made contact with Mr Low, Campbell replied: “2017.”

He also stated that he was unaware that Mr Low had left the Edradynate estate they worked at until he saw it on television.

Campbell also claimed the last time he had access to a rifle in Scotland was 11 years ago.

Mr Lenehan took Campbell through his whereabouts and actions on the day Mr Low was murdered.

Jurors were told that Campbell covered his doorbell CCTV with tape on two occasions.

Campbell claimed that he had wrongly believed that another video doorbell camera at the other side of his house had been stolen.

He stated that his covering the doorbell was to help his wife find the perpetrator using the stolen camera.

Campbell admitted that he was told that they did not own a second video doorbell.

Campbell later told jurors that he “reviewed” seven-and-a-half hours of further CCTV footage of his home between February 15 and 16 in a bid to catch the alleged thief.

When asked who logged out of the CCTV, which had no access on February 16, Campbell replied: “It must have been me.

“I don’t know how to work it.”

Mr Lenehan put to Campbell that he initially claimed that the police were responsible, which he admitted he got “wrong.”

Campbell claimed that he phoned the council about an issue with his garage and stayed in the house for the rest of the day.

The advocate lastly asked his client if he had anything to do with Mr Low’s death, and he replied: “I most certainly did not.”

Prosecutor Greg Farrell quizzed Campbell on him initially saying Mr Low’s death was not a murder.

Campbell said: “As he was hit with a stray pellet.”

Campbell claimed that he was told to lie by his former boss, Michael Campbell, now deceased, that Mr Low had planted rat poison on his property in 2012.

Mr Farrell asked: “Michael Campbell wanted rid of him?”

Campbell replied: “At the time he did.”

Mr Farrell said: “Why not just fire him?”

Campbell responded: “You can’t get away from something like that…things are different nowadays.”

When asked, Campbell was asked if he ever threatened to kill Mr Low. He replied: “I did not, and I never had a heated argument or shouting match, not even once.”

Campbell stated that he could not remember the year that Mr Low was murdered.

Mr Farrell asked why not, and Campbell replied: “Months, years and days mean nothing to me.”

The trial continues before Judge Lord Scott.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in North East & Tayside

Trending Now