Latest updates
-
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from custody under investigation -
Former prime minister Gordon Brown says he has submitted more information to police -
King Charles says ‘law must take its course’ after brother’s arrest -
The Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement, it is understood -
Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office -
Andrew’s arrest comes on his 66th birthday -
Searches by officers from Thames Valley Police on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk have concluded -
Police were investigating claims he shared sensitive information with Jeffrey Epstein while serving as UK trade envoy
The former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Thames Valley Police said officers were carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk on Thursday morning.
The force confirmed it had arrested a man in his 60s but was not naming him “as per national guidance”.
On Thursday evening, officers said he had been released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Thames Valley Police said searches at a property in Norfolk, Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate, had concluded.
Searches at his former address, the Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, are ongoing.
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said: “On Thursday, we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The arrested man has now been released under investigation.“
“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”
The force said its searches in Berkshire are still under way, and that it would make no further statement at this time.
King Charles, Andrew’s brother, said he heard news of the arrest with “deepest concern”.
He said the authorities have the royal family’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the King said in a statement.
The Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement, it is understood.
Former prime minister Gordon Brown, who wrote to police forces last week, has said he has handed further information to the authorities.
“I have submitted a five-page memorandum to the Metropolitan, Surrey, Sussex, Thames Valley and other relevant UK police constabularies,” Brown said.
“This memorandum provides new and additional information to that which I submitted last week to the Met, Essex and Thames Valley police forces where I expressed my concern that we secure justice for trafficked girls and women.”
King’s statement in full
-
I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. -
Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. -
As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. -
Charles R.
Getty ImagesAssistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
STV NewsIt comes after pictures circulating online appeared to show unmarked police cars attending Wood Farm in Norfolk, on the Sandringham Estate, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside the property.
Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Previously, ACC Wright said they were leading the assessment of allegations relating to misconduct in public office specifically related to documents within the United States Department of Justice’s Epstein files.
Getty ImagesEmails released by the US department of justice earlier this month appear to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Singapore.
Files released by US authorities also include claims a woman was sent to the UK by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Andrew in 2010.
Norfolk Constabulary has been contacted for comment.
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

























