Latest updates
-
King Charles says ‘law must take its course’ after brother’s arrest -
Former prince Andrew has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office -
Andrew’s arrest comes on his 66th birthday -
Officers from Thames Valley Police are searching properties on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains in police custody -
Police were investigating claims he shared sensitive information with Jeffrey Epstein while serving as UK trade envoy -
It comes after repeated calls for police to question the force prince over his links with the convicted paedophile
King Charles has said the “law must take its course” after his brother Andrew’s arrest.
The former prince has been taken into custody on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Thames Valley Police is searching addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk on Thursday.
The force confirmed it had arrested a man in his 60s but was not naming him “as per national guidance”. He remains in police custody as of 10am on Thursday.
King Charles, Andrew’s brother, said he heard news of the arrest with “deepest concern”.
He said the authorities have the royal family’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.
King’s statement in full
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office”, the King said in a statement.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
The statement is signed “Charles R”.
Getty ImagesPolice investigating misconduct
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
STV NewsIt comes after pictures circulating online appeared to show unmarked police cars attending Wood Farm in Norfolk, on the Sandringham Estate, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside the property.
Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Previously, ACC Wright said they were leading the assessment of allegations relating to misconduct in public office specifically related to documents within the United States Department of Justice’s Epstein files.
Getty ImagesEmails released by the US department of justice earlier this month appear to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Singapore.
Files released by US authorities also include claims a woman was sent to the UK by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Andrew in 2010.
Norfolk Constabulary has been contacted for comment.
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

Getty Images






















