Police arrive at Royal Lodge to continue search as Andrew released under investigation

Police arrested the King's brother on his 66th birthday

Latest updates
  • Several unmarked police cars arrived at Royal Lodge to continue searching on Friday morning
  • Andrew was released from custody under investigation on Thursday night
  • Former prime minister Gordon Brown says he has submitted more information to police
  • King Charles says ‘law must take its course’ after brother’s arrest
  • Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday morning – his 66th birthday
  • Police were investigating claims he shared sensitive information with Jeffrey Epstein while serving as UK trade envoy

Several unmarked police vans were seen arriving at Royal Lodge, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former Berkshire home, on Friday morning.

Members of the media continued to gather at the gates of the estate, where security staff were monitoring vehicles passing through.

The former prince was released under investigation after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on the morning of his 66th birthday.

Thames Valley Police officers carried out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk on Thursday morning.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is seen returning after leaving police custody, following his arrest.Getty Images
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is seen returning after leaving police custody, following his arrest.

The force confirmed it had arrested a man in his 60s but was not naming him “as per national guidance”.

On Thursday evening, officers said Andrew had been released under investigation.

Thames Valley Police said searches at a property in Norfolk, Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate, had concluded.

Searches at his former address, the Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, are ongoing.

In a statement, Thames Valley Police said: “On Thursday, we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The arrested man has now been released under investigation.“

“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”

King Charles, Andrew’s brother, said he heard news of the arrest with “deepest concern”.

He said the authorities have the royal family’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the King said in a statement.

The Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement, it is understood.

Former prime minister Gordon Brown, who wrote to police forces last week, has said he has handed further information to the authorities.

“I have submitted a five-page memorandum to the Metropolitan, Surrey, Sussex, Thames Valley and other relevant UK police constabularies,” Brown said.

“This memorandum provides new and additional information to that which I submitted last week to the Met, Essex and Thames Valley police forces where I expressed my concern that we secure justice for trafficked girls and women.”

Police conduct searches in Norfolk and Berkshire after arresting former prince Andrew.STV News
Police conduct searches in Norfolk and Berkshire after arresting former prince Andrew.
Men step out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on February 19 in Sandringham, Norfolk.Getty Images
Men step out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on February 19 in Sandringham, Norfolk.

Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

Previously, ACC Wright said they were leading the assessment of allegations relating to misconduct in public office specifically related to documents within the United States Department of Justice’s Epstein files.

Melania Trump, Prince Andrew, Gwendolyn Beck and Jeffrey Epstein at a party at the Mar-a-Lago club, Palm Beach, Florida, February 12, 2000.Getty Images
Melania Trump, Prince Andrew, Gwendolyn Beck and Jeffrey Epstein at a party at the Mar-a-Lago club, Palm Beach, Florida, February 12, 2000.

Emails released by the US department of justice earlier this month appear to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Singapore.

Files released by US authorities also include claims a woman was sent to the UK by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Andrew in 2010.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in
Last updated Feb 20th, 2026 at 08:53

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in Scotland

Trending Now