Campaigners have welcomed the start of a public inquiry into disgraced neurosurgeon Sam Eljamel.
The inquiry will investigate matters relating to Eljamel, who was employed by NHS Tayside from 1995 until 2014, rising to the post of head of neurosurgery at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.
He also held various research and teaching positions with the University of Dundee and worked in private practice at Fernbrae Hospital.
Concerns over the standard of clinical care provided to patients by Eljamel led to the consultant being placed under supervision and then suspended by NHS Tayside in 2013.
He subsequently resigned in May 2014 and removed his own name from the medical register of the General Medical Council in 2015.
Eljamel is believed to have harmed more than 170 patients during his 18 years working in Dundee.
Unanswered questions
The independent public inquiry was announced by ministers in September 2023, following a long-running campaign spearheaded by former patients.
The then health secretary Michael Matheson said that a review published by NHS Tayside in August 2023 had left “many unanswered questions” and outlined “a number of failings” surrounding the health board’s handling of concerns about Eljamel, which Matheson said could “only be examined thoroughly by a public inquiry”.
Marking the formal launch of proceedings on Thursday, Lord Weir, the inquiry’s chair, promised to put the consultant’s former patients “at the centre” of the process.
The inquiry will look at whether patients were let down by failures in clinical governance, risk management, and complaints procedures, and to what extent Eljamel’s private practice, research, and workload impacted on the care received by his patients within NHS Tayside.
Lord Weir added: “I recognise that for many former patients and their families the experiences which form the subject matter of the inquiry have been traumatic.
“That is why my inquiry is committed to conducting its work in a way that is trauma-informed. It will listen to those who feel their voices have not been heard.
“It will pursue its investigations with an open mind, showing courtesy and respect towards those with whom it comes into contact, but guided by the principle of impartiality that comes from being independent of any individual or body, including the Scottish Government that funds it.”
Ten years of blood, sweat and tears for campaigners
Jules Rose, the lead campaigner for patients harmed by Eljamel, told STV News: “It’s been ten long years of blood, sweat and tears, and we shouldn’t have had to fight the fight that we did for so long.
“But it’s imperative that the Scottish Government and the health board remain truly independent from this process.

“And we have to go on record and state with the recommendations that will derive from this public inquiry, this is not just another tick box exercise for us.
“We want to make sure that these recommendations are being implemented across the whole of the National Health Service in Scotland. Otherwise, what was the point?”
Last month, Police Scotland said it had received 108 complaints about Eljamel but that it would take up to two years to decide if he will face prosecution.
They believe there is enough evidence to proceed with a criminal investigation.
Patients at the heart of investigation
Health secretary Neil Gray said: “The Scottish Government recognises that many former patients still live with the consequences of being treated by Eljamel and have waited a long time for answers.
“I am pleased to confirm that following consultation with many former patients and their representatives by Lord Weir and his team, I have agreed the Terms of Reference and the inquiry is now ready to be formally set up from today.
“The work of the Inquiry will be undertaken in a trauma-informed manner and Lord Weir will put patients at the heart of his investigation. Details of next steps will be shared by the Inquiry team in due course.”
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country
