Rangers head coach Russell Martin denied any breakdown in his relationship with midfielder Nico Raskin but didn’t give any clarity over the Belgian’s future.
Despite being arguably Rangers’ stand-out player last season, Raskin has not been a certain starter in Martin’s side since the former Southampton boss took over in the summer.
Some supporters have been infuriated by his absence from the starting line-up for important games, while Martin himself said in the aftermath of the 6-0 defeat against Club Brugge that Raskin was one of several players with “uncertainty” around his future with the club.
Raskin’s dad took to social media this week to heavily criticise Martin, questioning why experienced players from last year’s European campaign, including his son, were left out of a crucial match.
That’s all led to a spotlight on the Belgian’s situation ahead of Monday’s transfer deadline, and Sunday’s Old Firm clash with Celtic. Martin was asked several questions about the player and while he denied any fall out with the 24-year-old, he gave no assurances about Raskin’s place in the squad for the derby.
“Everyone’s here and everyone’s available,” the head coach said. “The squad and team will be picked on what we think is the best way to win the game.
“Nico was in training today. I’ve just said to you, the whole squad is here. Things can change, transfer window’s open so I can’t say to you that anybody is going to definitely be in the squad or not.”
When directly asked about his relationship with Raskin, he said: “I would describe my relationship with all the players as honest and open, and I don’t think you can have anything apart from that.
“There’s not a breakdown in any relationships here. If it’s honest and open then there can’t be a breakdown in any relationships.”
Martin insisted that he hadn’t finalised the squad for Sunday’s match, and that he had to see how players trained and felt over the next 48 hours and was dismissive when asked if there was anything “unusual” about Raskin.
“No, I’ve answered about five questions on it already, I think,” he said.

After just three wins from ten matches in charge so far, and the humiliating 6-0 defeat to Club Brugge, Martin is under pressure and there have been calls from fans groups for him to be sacked.
Ahead of what is a huge Old Firm match, he said that he had the support of the club’s ownership and had spoken with chairman Andrew Cavenagh, who has flown in from America for the derby.
“Yeah, I’ve spoken to Andrew,” he said. “It was just an honest conversation as it has been since day one.
“Nothing’s changed. I didn’t get any different feeling from them. They’ve been great and everything’s been really supportive.
“He’ll be at the training ground tomorrow, which was planned already, so I look forward to seeing him.”
Martin acknowledged the pressure of the role but insisted that he was enjoying the job despite the difficulties he has had.
“This job isn’t for the timid,” he said. “So I knew that when I took it.
“As I said, we could have chosen a different job. It was probably a bit easier in terms of the demands and the noise that comes with it.
“But it’s just not my job to speculate or worry about what people outside here think. My job is to worry about what the people in here think, to work with them every single day as much as we can and to be really clear on what we want.
“To be really demanding of the players and the staff. And to trust the work that we do.
“So it’s got me in this position in the first place. I now can’t be influenced or swayed by outside noise.
“And also, when you grow up and have to experience many, many tough things, you realise a bit of perspective and gratitude which means actually this is football, it means so much for everyone, but there’s a lot of tougher things to endure.
“As I said, this job isn’t for the timid. I’m going to give it everything. And I’m enjoying it.
“It might surprise you to hear me say that, but I am. We are.
“And now we have to make sure that we win as many games as we can.”
That starts with what will be a tough test against a Celtic side smarting from their own Champions League defeat and keen to assert their domestic dominance. The head coach now hopes for a statement win to help appease the angry Ibrox support.
“I think this game was always going to be important for anyone,” he said. “It’s our fourth league game, the manner of defeat makes everything feel terrible.
“We’ve qualified for the Europa League and we’ve got a chance to put things right on Sunday. All focus is on that after Wednesday night. It’s about responding properly.
“I think the only way you get fans back onside is by winning football matches, simple as that, and there’s no bigger game than this one.
“It’s one of the biggest games in the world in terms of the interest and everyone involved, and that’s the brilliant thing about football that after the disappointment in midweek you have the opportunity to put things right.”
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country
