Man charged with starting fire at multi-storey building

One man was taken to hospital and was treated for smoke inhalation before he was later discharged.

Man, 35, charged after fire broke out in Great Western Road flats in Glasgow PA Ready
Arrested: Man who went to hospital for smoke inhalation identified as 'responsible' for fire

A man has been charged following a blaze which broke out at a block of flats in Glasgow.

On Tuesday, a fire broke out on the common landing of the 13th floor of the multi-storey block at 2231 Great Western Road just after 9pm.

A 35-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the fire after police made local enquiries and reviewed CCTV footage and will appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Thursday.

One man was taken to hospital and was treated for smoke inhalation before he was later discharged.

The fire was swiftly brought under control and no other people were injured or evacuated from the block as a result.

Residents of the five flats on the floor where the fire broke out were placed in temporary accommodation.

DI Kenny McDonald said: “Detectives conducted local enquiries, spoke to residents and reviewed CCTV.

“A 35-year-old man was arrested and charged and will be appearing later today at Glasgow Sheriff Court. The motive for the fire is unknown.”