Reality TV risks 'crossing line into exploitation', former Ofcom chair says

Lord Grade's comments follow allegations of rape and sexual assault made by former contestants of Channel 4's Married At First Sight UK.

Reality television producers are in jeopardy of “crossing a line into exploitation and taking risks with the public’s mental health”, the former chairman of regulator Ofcom has said.

Lord Grade’s remarks follow allegations of rape and sexual assault made by former contestants of Channel 4’s Married At First Sight UK (MAFS UK), as shown in a BBC Panorama documentary.

Two women told the programme they were allegedly raped by their on-screen partners during filming, while a third accused her on-screen partner of sexual misconduct. All three men deny the allegations.

Commenting on the MAFS scandal, Lord Grade said producers are in danger of putting the public into more and more confrontational and emotional situations as shows are “creeping so close to the line, we’re tipping over it”.

He told Times Radio: “The alarm bells ring when you see what a suite of protocols and duty of care measures have to be put in place to protect the public.

“And these protocols are getting bigger and bigger as the risks get greater and greater.

“And that’s a real danger sign for me, for these reality shows crossing a line into exploitation and taking risks with the public’s mental health in ways that they shouldn’t be doing.”

Former Ofcom chairman Lord Michael Grade. / Credit: PA

Lord Grade added: “Many reality shows are wonderful. I mean, Traitors and lots of other shows and even Big Brother, I thought was fine.

“But we are in danger as the heat gets turned up and the public are put into more and more confrontational, emotional situations, which, you know, even with all the will in the world and their informed consent to go on the show, they could never have any idea what they were getting themselves into.”

Tui Group announced on Thursday that it had ended its sponsorship of the UK and Australian versions of the show, following the emergence of the allegations.

Lord Grade said participants of such shows “know what’s in store, but they can’t possibly imagine what emotional roller coasters they’re going to have to go through and their ability to withstand and manage those roller coasters”.

“I mean, up to now shows were just about the right side of the line, but we’re now creeping so close to the line, I think we’re tipping over it,” he added.

In a letter to The Times, the former controller of BBC One wrote: “Each new format seems to bring us closer and closer to that abyss.”

He added: “As a former broadcaster I would urge broadcasters, in assessing new formats, to ask themselves ‘If we need this unprecedented suite of protections for contestants, is this really exploitation?’

“The answer is easy: don’t make the show.”

Channel 4 has said its Married At First Sight (MAFS) spin-off show remains in pre-production.

The broadcaster announced the launch of Second Marriage At First Sight in February, which hopes to bring together contestants from the UK and Australian versions of the show for a second chance at love.

On Tuesday police urged potential victims of sexual assault on the TV show to come forward.

Shortly before the Panorama episode aired, Channel 4 announced it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare last month.

Lawyers for CPL, the independent production company that makes the UK version of the show, told Panorama its welfare system was “gold standard” and that it acted appropriately in all these cases.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in
Last updated May 22nd, 2026 at 20:21

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in UK & International

Trending Now